Halfdays is hiring an Associate Technical Designer to support the Senior Technical Designer and the Design Team in preparing fit sessions, processing and communicating fit comments at each development stage through PPS. At TOP stage you have had visibility of the development of the garment and will review the TOP's with the team and communicate comments to the factories. Must have 2-5 yrs tech design experience in outerwear/sportswear categories, strong knowledge in specs and garment workmanship and basic understanding of BOM's.
Must be based in NYC for Dumbo, Brooklyn office on-site work availability.
Who we are
Halfdays is a fast-growing ski wear brand that exists to push the status quo of the outdoor industry. We create winter wear for women that combines fashion, technicality, and sustainability. We care about each other, have lots of fun, and bring new people into the outdoors!
You'll love this job if..
- You're detail-oriented and strive for excellence
- You are a technical designer with a strong eye for good fit, proportion balance, elevated functionality, and performance without sacrificing a fashion point of view.
- You are deeply passionate about flattering fit and comfort in performance outerwear
- You believe in fewer but better versus the fashion status quo
- You have an interest in skiing and/or enjoy the outdoors
- You're looking to bring your technical design experience to a growing brand and grow exponentially within it
Role Scope, Responsibilities
- Measure incoming garments against vendor supplied measurements. Identifies discrepancies and problems and brings to the attention of the Sr. Technical Designer. Assists with resolution.
- Assist on sample tracking, coordinating samples and prepping fit sessions.
- Assist Sr. Technical Designer in technical fittings by preparing samples, taking clear notes (handwritten) during fit sessions and ensuring design comments correlate to spec updates, completing fit lists, and model booking.
- Maintain fit tech log based on fit session comments under the direction of the Sr. Technical Designer.
- Generate detailed fit comments and communicate changes to factories in various methods, i.e. pattern correction, digital photos, technical sketches, technical notes and garment construction.
- Daily communication with overseas and internal departments.
- Other responsibilities will vary according to department to department needs and special projects being handled by the managers.
- College degree in technical design, fashion design or equivalent experience in related area
- 2-5 years of technical design experience
- Outerwear/Sportswear/Activewear technical design experience is a must.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft and Adobe Illustrator
- Strong attention to details and accuracy
- Knowledge of grading, grade rules and sewing
- Knowledge of patternmaking and draping
- Flexible and ability to multi task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Team player, is receptive to direction, collaborates with designer, production, merchants and overseas vendors.
- A strong understanding of pattern making and garment constructions is essential
- Accountable, entrepreneurial, and reliable with a strong work ethic and can-do attitude
- Positive, open, and friendly team member
- Highly organized and able to productively self-manage workloads and prioritize top deliverables
Bonus points if you have
- Experience designing outerwear or ready-to-wear in extended/plus sizes (ideally up to 4XL)
- PDM/PLM experience
- Experience as a skier or snowboarding (of any ability level)