Halfdays is hiring a Freelance Senior Technical Designer to oversee technical design of all product from development through to TOP approval of our ski, snow/outdoor, active and accessory categories. This individual will be responsible for communicating fit intent to vendors, leading fittings, all fit-related communication to internal cross-functional teams, and upholding high standards of universal fit and construction quality. They will manage all technical aspects of our product development from initial concept through to production, working closely with Product to understand and correctly communicate design intent. This role is tasked with ensuring fit consistency and delivering industry-leading flattering, well-made and fashionable outdoor apparel for a rapidly growing brand.
Starting ASAP, 40 hours/week full-time freelance for 6-8 week engagement, with potential for freelance-to-perm.
Who we are
Halfdays is a fast-growing ski wear brand that exists to push the status quo of the outdoor industry. We create winter wear for women that combines fashion, technicality, and sustainability. We care about each other, having lots of fun, and bringing new people into the outdoors!
You’ll love this job if..
- You’re detail-oriented and strive for excellence
- You are deeply passionate about flattering fit and comfort in performance
- You have an interest in skiing and/or enjoy the outdoors
- You’re looking to bring your technical design experience to a growing brand and grow exponentially within it
Role Scope, Responsibilities:
- Build detailed tech packs including sketches, construction specifications, and graded specs
- Work with Design on inputting of full-scale details + design lines into tech packs, spec sheets
- Communicate with overseas factories on all fit, measurement and construction details of garments.
- Manage sample approval and comments in collaboration with Product Development team and Design.
- Receive, measure and evaluate samples, prepare specs for fitting sessions.
- Lead fittings with Head of Product and designers to translate fit and aesthetic details.
- Maintain fit consistency across all product categories.
- Create garment archive and maintain organization of samples’ fit development stage, comments, etc
- Provide technical direction, in collaboration with peer teams, supervisor, and vendor on matters pertaining to specs, pattern, construction methods, and techniques to improve fit, balance, and overall quality of the garment.
- Consistently refine + improve grade rules based on ongoing fit feedback and product selling analysis from cross-functional partners.
- Conduct fit clinics of customers, fit models, etc to identify fit optimization opportunities and/or problem solving.
- Work with Product Development on vendor production quality standards and agreements, QC checklists + processes.
- Work with Lead Product Manager, Head of Product Development at the end of each season on hindsighting fit or construction challenges, optimizing for future reorders.
- Experienced in outerwear, activewear, and performance apparel technical design.
- Minimum Associates Degree in Apparel Manufacturing, Design, Patternmaking.
- Strong Adobe Illustrator sketching skills
- Must be well-versed and quick in Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Gmail/Google Drive.
- Management experience overseeing fit standards processes.
- 5+ years of industry experience in womens outerwear, ski/snow, activewear and sport, and Plus Size.
- Keen knowledge of both standard sizing as well as extended sizing (XXS-4XL) and up-to-date grading and sizing practices across competitive brands.
- Specialist in performance product design, understanding of ergonomics and general practices in ski/outerwear product design
- Strong understanding of patternmaking (paper and digital) as well as grading absolutely essential
- Accountable, entrepreneurial, and reliable with strong work ethic and can-do attitude
- Positive, open and friendly team member.
- Ability to work on both long-lead and speed-to-market product developments, agile and efficient
- Clear and succinct communication skills, ability to translate complex technical information in easily understood manner to overseas partners
- Highly organized and able to productively self-manage workloads and prioritize top deliverables
- Able to conduct occasional international calls with Asian vendors and/or attend technical design-related trade shows or events
Bonus points if you have…
- Experience in extended/plus sizing (ideally up to 4XL) and petite sizing
- Fashion brand experience in ready-to-wear product technical design and/or development
- PDM/PLM experience
- Experience as a skier or snowboarding (of any ability level)
- Experience leading a technical design team in a fast-paced environment
- Naturally interested in and proficient in data analysis (we are data-driven!)